How Does a Carbon Neutral Mortgage Work?
Most every home in the country has a carbon footprint. Yours is no exception. We have teamed up with RHF to calculate the estimated carbon emissions your home will emit based on the size of the home, and length of the loan.
Then, based on the typical fees you would otherwise pay as a borrower, we create a bundle of carbon credits that would make your mortgage carbon neutral. We have taken special care to guarantee the cost to offset your emissions is less than the closing fees you would have paid. We want to make sure you save money by going green.
For every carbon neutral mortgage that is closed with RHF, you will receive a certificate upon closing detailing the amount of greenhouse gas you have kept out of the atmosphere. You will also be able to track the funds and actions RHF takes in a transparent way. CCC will make transaction documentation publicly available for all to see.
We have chosen some of the best projects in the world to support the Carbon Neutral Mortgage. You can check them out here, here, and here. Additionally, every single mortgage closed as a Carbon Neutral Mortgage will contribute to advancing the UN SDG’s.
What does this all mean? You can take meaningful climate action while closing on the home of your dreams, all while saving some green.
Let’s get started!
We curate our portfolio of carefully selected carbon offset projects spread across the globe to not only offer the most highly scrutinized, thoroughly verified offsets, but also to do the most good to the local communities in which each project is implemented. Whether a project provides financial benefits to local communities who gain full employment through our forestry project in Brazil; or providing free renewable energy to impoverished farmers in China, you can be sure to find credits that do more than just mitigate carbon emissions, but that also provide better lives to people who deserve it most.
Carbon Credit Capital will only consider a carbon offset project if it clearly meets the following requirements:
- Real: an offset must represent real emissions reductions that have already occurred (i.e. the reduction is not projected to occur in the future)
- Additional: an offset must represent emission reductions that are in addition to what would have occurred otherwise in a business-as-usual scenario
- Permanent: an offset must represent emission reductions that are non-reversible or must be sequestered for 100-years or more
- Verifiable: sufficient data quantity and quality must be available to ensure emission reductions can be verified by an independent third party auditor (verifier) in accordance with an established protocol
- Quantifiable: emission reductions represented by offsets must be reliably measured or estimated, and must be capable of being quantified
- Enforceable: offset ownership is undisputed and enforcement mechanisms exist to ensure that all program rules are followed
You will obtain a certificate and a receipt of your purchase. You will become a member of our Carbon Credit Club automatically. The Credit Club aims to get more people moving towards to a low-carbon society and gives you recognition for doing so.
We will retire (remove from circulation) the voluntary credits that you purchase in your name. You will get a notification of the carbon credit retirement from us at the end of the financial quarter, which serves as proof of the transaction.
Share with your family, friends and people around you. Let everyone know that you are making a difference!